In addition to classroom lessons for educational institutions, ChinaTalk also offers tailor-made one-to-one online lessons, for example for professionals who (want to) do business with China or those who want to travel to China.
Why take online private lessons with ChinaTalk?
- You will be coached by a first-degree certified Chinese Language and Culture teacher with many years of practical experience.
- Your teacher is a native speaker of Mandarin, but also speaks English and Dutch. As a native speaker she knows the language like no other.
- After a free intake interview, a personal lesson plan will be made for you. We take your personal goals and level into account.
- Depending on the speed you want and your budget, we can help you use a mix of personal lessons and self-study with a number of tools.
- Your personal lessons are tailor-made for you.
- Learning Chinese requires frequent communication and practice with someone who is fluent in the language. If you do a lot of self-study, lessons can be used as periodic practical exercises and evaluate your progress. Correct pronunciation and aplication of grammar is continuously evaluated.
- Because the lessons take place online, we are extra flexible in planning lesson times and you save a lot of travel time.
About the teacher – Jessica Sun
Jessica Sun is a native speaker of Mandarin. She is born and grew up in China. After working ten years in China in tourism and education respectively, in 2013 Jessica moved to The Netherlands and currently works in Dutch education system and also als a freelance Chinese language teacher.
Jessica’s education background
Jessica has taken linguistics as her major during her university study in China. After moving to The Netherlands, she studied at Leiden Univeristy. After finishing an undergraduate program (China Studies) she continued her master program Asian Studies and finally second master program ICLON to get her first degree teaching qualification (the highest level qualification in The Netherlands).
Jessica’s practical experience
Since 2014 Jessica has been teaching Chinese language and culture in various schools and individuals. Her students belong to different age groups and have different learning goals, including:
- Primary school students approximately 10 years old (grade 7 and 8)
- MBO students (Dutch vocational education)
- HAVO & VWO students (Dutch middle school students)
- HBO students majoring in China studies (Dutch applied science university students)
- Individual students who have daily contact with Chinese clients, who study Chinese and will work in or with China, who want to travel to China, etc.
Jessica’s teaching principles
- Real life situation learning: The primary purpose of language is to communicate, therefore learning how to express yourself is crucial. Besides learning the meanings of words, it is important to know when to use them and within a specific context. In Jessica’s lessons, you always learn the words in a lifelike situation you will encounter in China or when meeting Chinese people.
- Expose yourself to the language as much as possible: Language learning is about sufficient input. When we learn our mothertougue, we all start by listening to our parents. After being sufficiently exposed to the language we begin to mimic what they have said and are continiously corrected. Finally, we master the language. The same applies when it comes to acquiring a new language. Therefore, you will be exposed to the language as much as possible. You teacher will guide you to interact in Manderin from the very first lesson.
These teaching principles will ensure you learn authentic Mandarin instead of textbook Mandarin. This way, many common mistakes can be avoided, like using words in an inappopriate context, mixing up words which sound alike but have different meanings, etc.
Why have lessons with Jessica Sun?
Jessica has a professional education background. She has wide-ranging experience in teaching different types of students. She will help you achieve your leaning goals in the most effective way.
Plan a free intake interview with Jessica
Send an e-mail to to email@example.com. We will plan a free intake interview. During the interview, you are getting to know your teacher. Your personal goals and level will be determined and a personal lesson plan will be discussed.
Depending on the speed you want to learn in and your budget, we can help you use a mix of personal lessons and self-study with a number of tools.
Your personal lessons with Jessica will be tailor-made for you.
Booking online lessons with Jessica
After the intake interview and approval of the lesson plan, you can purchase sets of 5 or 10 lessons at a time. ChinaTalk works with a strip card system:
- Intake call : free
- Set of 5 lessons of 1 hour: €262 euros excl. VAT *
- Set of 10 lessons of 1 hour + 30 minutes of free culture lesson: €524 euros excl. VAT *
* For students in The Netherlands: if the language lessons are not considered to be a vocational training (beroepsopleiding), then they are exempt from VAT.
Would you like a preview?
Watch Jessica’s video series on common mistakes when learning Chinese on YouTube.
What our customers are saying:
“Besides the fact that Jessica Sun is one of the nicest persons you will ever meet, she is a tremendously skilled teacher. She absolutely understands what is happening in the minds of new language learners and optimizes her lessons to be fun and comprehensible. All this, while always keeping the learning result as the highest priority. After all, the Chinese go for results.
Jessica always comes prepared and knows exactly what the student’s learning flaws are. She can make the lesson feel like a fun conversation, but she will do it in such a way that the grammar/vocab points that you are working on are being practiced. For me, it always feels like a pity when the lessons are over after what feels like 10 minutes, even though it is well over an hour.
Furthermore, at ChinaTalk they understand that language is also about culture, and they’ll make sure that this is part of the curriculum. The importance of the latter, in my opinion, is not to be underestimated. Without understanding some of the Chinese culture you won’t be able to understand certain parts of the language. This is one of the reasons why solely doing self-study is not recommended.
As someone who has a busy life it is impossible to learn Chinese full-time. I often hear people argue that it is impossible to learn Chinese if you are not in university learning the language full-time, but after more than a year of studying Chinese with ChinaTalk next to my job and other ventures, I would strongly beg the differ.
I would absolutely recommend learning Chinese to anyone, whether you are a student, working professional or just someone who is eager to learn new skills. Learning Chinese with the help of ChinaTalk is fun and doable. Personally, I will not stop learning until I reach fluency. Definitely worth the investment, and certainly worth a try.” – Stijn Kamphuis
“Jessica is a great teacher and I am utterly happy to have met her. She is fun to learn with, but also has a very clear vision on where we should be heading and is able to exactly follow the path that was mapped out.” – Anonymous customer.
“[The teacher is] very active, and does a lot of preparations for the classes. [The interaction is] very good, talking a lot about all kinds of different topics helps improve my Chinese.” – Anonymous customer.
For more testimonials from schools, please click here.